With a SUFE, this growth plate suffers a form of fracture, and the head of the femur slips out of position. A child with a SUFE may feel like they have a pulled muscle in their hip, thigh or knee. The exact cause of this condition is not known, but there may be a link between increased weight and puberty hormones.
Also know, is Scfe an emergency?
SCFE is usually an emergency and must be diagnosed and treated early. In 20 to 40 percent of affected children, SCFE will be present in both hips at the time the child is diagnosed. If only one hip is affected, the other hip will eventually slip 30 to 60 percent of the time. Treatment is surgical.
Beside above, what is a slipped femoral epiphysis?
Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) is a hip condition that occurs in teens and pre-teens who are still growing. For reasons that are not well understood, the ball at the head of the femur (thighbone) slips off the neck of the bone in a backwards direction.
How rare is Scfe?
Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) is the most common hip disorder in adolescents, occurring in 10.8 per 100,000 children. SCFE usually occurs in those eight to 15 years of age and is one of the most commonly missed diagnoses in children.
How common is Sufe?
SUFE is relatively common and occurs between 0.2 and 10 per 100,000 population. It is more common in boys (60%) than girls with the mean age at diagnosis being 13.5 years in boys and 12 years in girls. Approximately 50% of adolescents with SUFE are above the 95th percentile for weight.