For first time visitors, Sultanahmet is a good place to stay. For subsequent visits, Taksim/Beyloglu are great alternatives. If you want to talk about brothels, Beyazit (the 'garment district') is a five minute walk from Sultanahmet, where the Grand Bazaar is located.
Correspondingly, what is the best area in Istanbul to stay?
Also to know, how far is Sultanahmet from Taksim Square?
How do I get from Taksim to Sultanahmet?
It isn't difficult. Just take the tram from Sultanahmet to the end of the station at Eminonu, and then walk underground to the funicular railway that goes up the hill to Taksim. For the funicular railway, you need to buy another ticket and it is 1.75 each, so it is 3.50TL total.
What should I avoid in Istanbul?
10 Things You Should Avoid Doing in Istanbul
- Don't stay close to the sights.
- Don't take the tram on Istiklal.
- Don't shop on Istiklal.
- Don't buy apple tea.
- Don't buy everything you see in the bazaars.
- Don't buy in bazaars without haggling.
- Don't be afraid to try street food.
- Don't eat close to touristic places.